Thursday, May 19, 2011

Assignment 2 week 1 Walk Through

This is my original photograph that I decided to use for the second project this week. I chose a high key background because it makes it easier to select my model so that I can put a textured background. I learned from last time if you have multiple layers to start off it does not work so I merged all my existing layers from retouching so there was just one layer to start with. Then I looked up textures in google images and chose one that I thought looked cool and grabbed my attention. I opened the texture in photoshop and selected the whole picture and pasted it into the picture that I had been working on. I had to scale the concrete image so that it would be close to the same size as my original picture. I then made the concrete layer the very first layer so that it comes before the picture with the colored design on it. I turned off all the shapes and the concrete so I can see just my model. I double clicked her picture so that it says layer 0 instead of background. Then I duplicated layer 0 so I can select my model with the magic wand. Once I have selected the picture I went to select then invert. Then under edit I selected fill and filled what was once my model with white since the background is black. The image is now a black background with a white silhouette. While still on that layer you need to select all and copy it then turn off the layer so it does not appear. Next, you should click on the copy of the layer 0 and drag it down to the mask button at the bottom of the layers panel. You should get a white box that appears right next to the actual image of copy layer 0. If you hold down the alt key while clicking the white mask box that you just created then it will appear and then you can paste what you copied to create your mask. Make sure that the mask is selected when going to edit, adjustments and then to invert. The new textured background will appear around the model. I then adjusted layers, brightness, contrast, exposure to both the image now as a whole and the background itself. I wanted to see what it would look like if I took the background and layered it over the picture again. I really liked the look and this way I was able to adjust the opacity over my model and still having it strong in the background! After that I made a new layer at the top and filled it with 50% grey. Then I went to the filter gallery and played around with putting more textures on top of the texture I had just added. I picked Texturizer and made it the feel of canvas and put the lighting to the Right since that were my lighting for the original photograph was directed. I then decided to look up a shattered glass affect to layer into my background. To add it I just did the same exact thing with all the other textured looks from google images and put a bit of a Gaussian blue to the layer. I also added a water ripple at the bottom right of my picture.

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I think that the textures are a great addition. Are there any other kind of things that you think a portrait client would want in an image like this? Would there be any vector graphic designs included as well? I tried an alternate of your image by putting another layer of the girl on top in overlay mode at 80% and adjusting the background down in saturation and up in lightness using an adjustment layer. I will post to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was just asking why a client would want this kind of image as well and I am not sure what I would use it for portrait wise. I think I would be able to put it under the category of fine art. I do think that if I toned this down it would be sellable in the portrait industry. This gives me a wider variety of choices of backdrops to use. As for the textures some clients do like that textured look but every time I have seen it it's very subtle. Honestly, I have never worked with vectors and I think with some practice they might be a cool addition to my images.

    ReplyDelete